The Jazz Platform uses different data sources to decide on the best location for a user and/or node on the world map. The list below is in preference order:
- The GeoIP location for the remote IP address last used by the node, as presented to the Jazz Perimeter node
- The default location specified during enrollment (as part of the enrollment bundle creation)
- The GeoIP database for a given IP address may not always be accurate.
- The source IP address can be affected by several factors, including NAT settings, VPN usage, and other proxies.
- If the Jazz agent is on a local IP range and can contact the Jazz perimeter node directly (no NAT etc.) then the Jazz perimeter node will likely see a local IP address which will resolve to (0, 0) unless a different default location has been set.
- If a user has multiple nodes associated with their Digital Passport, their location on the map will be chosen at random.